19 October 2012

Judging a Book by Its Lover (mini-review)

I was looking for a funny book to read (I've been reading Sandman...no funny there) and was seeing a lot of buzz for Lauren Leto's Judging a Book by Its Lover.  Worth a shot.

And I'm a bit torn.  I really liked a lot of the chapters: the Twitter reviews of memoirs, bookstore hookups, F. Scott and Zelda having a meal together (which is completely made-up, obviously, and hilarious).  The "Rules of Bookclub" had me laughing out loud. (Side note: Lauren was a co-author/creator of Texts From Last Night.)

But the gift-guide was really long, maybe too long because it ceased to be funny after about five entries.  The "faking-it" guide to book discussion was also pretty un-funny to me: I'd read almost all of the books skewered in the section and we have differeing opinions about them.

On the balance, I laughed a lot throughout the book, so mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment