26 October 2009

Hush, Hush

I signed up for the First Look Book Club's first ever YA group because I thought it would be fun. I was reminded that I really don't care for paranormal romance. Regardless of the target age group.

Suffice to say, I didn't like Hush, Hush. I forced myself to finish the book during the readathon because it was lurking in my bookshelf and if I finished it I could dispose of the advance copy. Two major reasons why this book got on my nerves:
1) if a female teenager complains to a teacher that she is being sexually harassed by another (male) student, the teacher shouldn't blow off her concerns because it's the only time the other student participates in class; in addition, said teacher shouldn't decide that the female student should tutor the male student...alone
2) I am very tired of YA books that have a "helpless" quiet, studious, intelligent central female character who must be "rescued" from her life-endangering plight by a "bad boy" male....who turns out to have insert-your-favorite-paranormal-trope-here; why can't the teen in need be a male rescued by a self-confident female sans special powers?

When the big climax of the book rolled around, I really didn't care what happened to any of the characters.

So YA paranormal romance is not for me. If you liked Twilight and others in that same vein (Shiver, House of Night, etc) then you'll like this one - angels/fallen angels/Nephilim instead of vampires and werewolves. If the thought of reading Twilight makes you gag...you'd best skip Hush, Hush.

PS: Nora, the protagonist, chows iron tablets like they were Flintstones vitamins. I'm an epidemiologist - I have never once ran across any chronic condition that called for the ingestion of iron tablets when one felt faint. If you want the heroine to have a condition requiring as needed medication when she starts feeling bad try diabetes. Otherwise that's just poor research (put me right off The Sister).

Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge Count: 5/8

No comments:

Post a Comment