26 April 2010

Lisbeth Salander is not "gamine"

Pretty sure my allergy-medicated, bordering-on-sinus-infection head almost exploded today when AAKnopf tweeted that Carey Mulligan has signed on for David Fincher's English-language version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  As Lisbeth Salander.

Don't believe me?  Here's the link to the Times Online article.

Number one, why must we have an English/American adaptation of a perfectly good Swedish film?  And you can't claim that it doesn't appeal when we haven't even been given a chance to see it (distributors, I'm looking at you - you all suck).  The history of American adaptations of foreign language films lends itself to looking upon this endeavor with a gimlet eye.

Number two, Carey Mulligan is gamine.  Gamine does not equal Goth, bi-sexual, anorexic, genius computer hacker.  I understand she's trying to break out of her given character rut, and she is talented, but this really does not make me interested in this movie especially since I'm not interested in this adaptation to start with.

Totally, I think this just ruined my Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable. That is such horrible casting. I like Mulligan, but geez. I agree that there's no need to even do an English adaptation, but if they're going to, they could certainly find someone better suited for the role. What a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete