12 June 2009

Books, books, books!

This week has been a stressful one at the "real" job - grant season sucks the life out of me (hence the lack of posts). At the store we've been having employee appreciation week and, well, it makes life slightly more bearable due to retail therapy at a discount. But only slightly because there's always checking account shock that sets in later due to large quantity of books purchased - it's still not that cheap.

Purchased this week:
Art and Physics: Parallel Visions in Space, Time, and Light by Leonard Shlain
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (I did not buy this because POTUS read it, I'd been planning to purchase when the paperback came out; Obama just has good taste)
Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (this is the audio read by Emily Gray)
Jeanette Winterson (Vintage Living Texts Series) edited by Margaret Reynolds
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine, 1880-1930 edited by John Harley Warner and James M. Edmonson
Who Killed Iago? A Book of Fiendishly Challenging Literary Quizzes by James Walton
The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Knitting Little Luxuries by Louisa Harding
Operation Shylock: A Confession by Phillip Roth
My Father's Tears and Other Stories by John Updike
Feminine Knits: 22 Timeless Designs by Lene Holme Samsoe

Oh dear. I think I might have to have a lie down.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need some time to relax - all those books should help! I was at B&N today and did not purchase anything but, I made a list. I had a BIG charge bill last month and am expecting several of the $25 B&N gift cards (have the B&N credit card). The books will be like free then.

    I see some good books listed above that I will need to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I came across your blog due to the Random House RT and I just have to say I loooove your username! I'll add the link to your site to my sidebar if you don't mind, now excuse me while I take a look around your site. :)

    ps: Speak is a fantastic book! And is Jasper Fforde any good? I've bought all his Thursday Next books, but haven't read them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi S - yes, Jasper Fforde writes very funny, koooky genre bending books. My favorite Thursday Next book is the third one, The Well of Lost Plots, followed by First Amongst Sequels, The Eyre Affair, Something Rotten, and then Lost in a Good Book (but it's a very close margin :) )

    ReplyDelete