30 April 2013

Cloud Atlas

Summary from Goodreads:
A postmodern visionary who is also a master of styles and genres, David Mitchell combines flat-out adventures, a Nabokovian love of puzzles, a keen eye for character, and a taste for mind-bending philosophical and scientific speculation in the tradition of Umberto Eco and Philip K. Dick. The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift across time like clouds across the sky.

I hadn't read the book before I went to see the movie with Jessica (ran out of time), so I started back in November and finished during the Readathon.

Yes, I'm occasionally an overachiever.

In short, Cloud Atlas is a mind-blowing book. I love the nest-box structure of the narrative and it was really interesting to see what endings and details were changed from the book to the movie adaptation.  I had a little trouble with Zachry's section and had to start reading it aloud to get the hang of the dialect.

Absolutely worth reading.  Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment