09 August 2012

Beyond Heaving Bosoms

So, I've been following Smart Bitches, Trashy Books on Twitter for some time.  My friend Jess has been trying to get me to read the book Beyond Heaving Bosoms for a while (especially since I've started reading romance novels again).  She gave me a gift card for my birthday so I was like, why not?

Oh, my god, this book is so funny.  While the authors seriously examine romance trends and tropes and muse on why the genre is perennially appealing they confess their darkest romance-plot fantasies (almost, one of them won't confess her most secret, embarassing plot trope).  All with a good dose of snark.

They give silly names to body parts (like the Magic HooHoo) - which seems over the top but somehow equals the overblown descriptive language used in romance novel sex scenes.  They go into detail about romance covers, both how they are created and how snark-tastic the covers can be.  There are Mad Libs and a choose-your-own-romance chapter.  The SBs get serious for a chapter regarding the Cassie Edwards debacle and how they got wrapped up in it (which I hadn't actually known about, so that was interesting even though the tone was a 180 from the rest of the book).

I laughed a lot while reading this book.  And I thought a lot while reading this, mentally sifting through the huge-normous number of romance novels I've read so far this year (I've been in full-on gorge mode).  And I wrote silly updates on Goodreads:


So if you like bawdy humor and romance novels, I think you'll like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment