03 July 2011

Reasons I have not updated the blog...

1.  Not entirely sure, it suddenly became less appealing than previous.  I think this is called "burn-out".

2.  I read all four extant books in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire in a little under ten days.  That's about 3,000 pages.  I may have fried my brain.  I think I am in love.

3.  I obsessed about the Game of Thrones TV show because I don't get HBO not does my cable provider participate in HBO Go.  (Note to HBO: I would PAY MONEY for online subscriptions to episodes, you can do it through HBO.com or iTunes, your choice - and then I would buy the DVD set ASAP;  PS: what's the release date for that bad boy of a Season 1?)

4.  I've been working a lot.  Work=teh suck.

5.  I was trying to read The Bone People by Keri Hulme for "Literature by Women" - it pushed the wrong buttons in me.  Normally, books with major issues like child abuse don't freak me out too much but something in this one hit me at the wrong time.  It is well-written and that probably is what's making the subject freak me the frak right out.

6.  I've been working on some deadlines for Alpha Chi Sigma....still got one coming actually.

and in the biggest surprise of all...

7.  I've been writing a book.  Un-freaking-believable.  I haven't written anything since high school (I do not recommend peer-review writing groups when one kid reads at a college level and the rest are somewhere back in junior high) and before Memorial Day I just sat down, opened a journal, and started writing out a plot I've had in my head for years.  I've got most of a first re-write done then I think I might be able to let it rest for a bit.  (And no, I'm not sharing, yet.  It's currently contained in three journals of nasty long-hand scribbling because I can't think at the computer, oddly enough.)  And then I have to read a book about dialogue because my lead-ins and lead-outs are getting repetitive.

So I've got some reviews in the hopper and they need a bit of polishing - don't be surprised if some reviews appear backdated.  If I accepted a book for review (*cough* HarperCollins *cough*), I'll get to it as soon as I can (good thing I stopped responding to my email, no new review copies piling up).  If I haven't yet responded to an email (*cough* My Friend Amy *cough*), I'll get to that soon, too.

Back to writing and plotting to rejoin the land of the interwebs.

6 comments:

  1. wow! good luck with your book! and everything else. I know what you mean about THE BONE PEOPLE- I just finished it, and it's a toughie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Song of Ice and Fire in ten days?! That's quite impressive! I'm going to guess you enjoyed it...

    I actually sort of forced myself to separate between the books. I knew that if I read them all together, I'd never be able to distinguish between what happened when and I'd start forgetting things (which sort of happened anyways, because I read each individual book really fast and in large bites)... Next week, c'mon, next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marie and Cozy: Thanks :) I've never been bitten by the writing but "for realz" so it's a strange ride.

    @Biblio: I felt like a drug addict, I just couldn't stop. I picked up the audio book of #1 for a re-read and then got addicted to Roy Dotrice's reading. I'm on book #2 on audio now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa, welcome back! I discovered A Game of Thrones, the book and the series, and I read Book one right along with the first season of the show. Love, love, love it! But I will wait awhile before reading the next book, although I've been tempted to pick up the second one. The series (book and show) are SO good!

    Congrats on writing a book. I'm working on one myself and I'm (trying) doing Camp NaNoWriMo this month. I'm crazy! =O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,
    Some great reasons for not blogging here! Good luck with your book

    ReplyDelete