11 July 2010

Happy Golden Anniversary, To Kill a Mockingbird!!

To celebrate the occasion, I will be re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird because it's high time I did so.  I will also be reading Scout, Atticus, and Boo as a companion piece.

I read TKAM in junior high - for fun.  I was just browsing through the public library one day and found it.  I thought Scout and Jem were kind of ornery, that Atticus was brave, and I remember being just outraged that someone would accuse someone else of a (made-up) crime just because that person was black (I'm pretty sure I've said elsewhere that I was a naive child; high school and college beat most of the naivete out of me).  I was never assigned TKAM for school and I did watch the movie adaptation but for whatever reason I never got around to reading it again.

Yay, for books to read over again!

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading it over again for my book club. When I am done I'm going to read Mockingbird, a biography of Harper Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread it for the anniversary as well and really enjoyed it the second time around. I am reading Mockingbird, a biography about Harper Lee and so far this is pretty good. I won Scout, Atticus, and Boo in a contest though so I'm excited to get to that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:13 PM

    I don't think I've ever read To Kill a Mockingbird. I have a vague memory of it being assigned in a high school English class. No memory of actually reading it though. Perhaps it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @juanitareads - yes! yes, you should see what the fuss is about :)

    @Ash and @bookmagic (Deb) - I've heard Mockingbird is good, I will need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete