05 September 2008

I love the 80s

A high point of my day is that my new iPod has enough battery life to let me listen to podcasts throughout the day, which keeps me sane at my desk (when I'm not misbehaving by playing on the Internet, like now). I'm listening to the September 2 podcast from "All Songs Considered" wherein the panel discusses the "bad"-ness that is 80s music. Hysterical. I'm on the extreme tail-end of the 80s generation (I turned 12 in 1990) so I probably belong more to grunge than 80s but I have to confess that, while I acknowledge that most of the 80s music is technically terrible, I love to listen to bad 80s music. Hall 'n Oates, Denise E. Williams, Huey Lewis, Genesis, Madonna, even Eddie Murphy. It has a good beat, you know?

And then the "All Songs Considered" group played Don Johnson (i.e. "Miami Vice"-era Don Johnson) - gag! Ok, I don't like that.

The panel did ask a really interesting question: of the groups/bands/individuals who made music in both the 1970s and 1980s, did any of them make better music in the 1980s than the 1970s?

Then they played "I will dare" by The Replacements because the group got tired of embarassing each other. Excellent!

1 comment: