29 November 2007

Books are good for the soul

Yesterday I went with Rachel, Jackie, and Mindy (librarian for the Patients' Library at the UIHC) to deliver books to the kids at the hospital. It was so much fun to see kids who really have little to smile about light up because they get to choose a book to keep. Or two or three because we had so many. I hope we get to do that again before Christmas comes.

Speaking of the book drive, we need more teen/adult books because a lot of patients are not little kids right now (5 copies of Eragon don't stretch very far). So if you read this blog, and you shop at the Coralville B&N, please donate a book for a teen/young adult to our book drive. Heck, if you shop at any B&N please donate a book or two - a number of stores are partnered with Head Start-type organizations and could really use the help.

Scrooge really is right: you need to keep Christmas in your heart and practice it all year round (who wants to tell that to the ruddy bugger who didn't want to buy a book to donate to a sick child because his taxes do that - excuse me, what?).

Current book-in-progress: I finished A Temple of Texts (ow, ow!) but I started a new book - Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Contemporary Bestsellers (it's all Kat's fault)
Current knitted item: Pretty blue sock, but I should really, really start carrying the Christmas stocking with me
Current movie obsession: Hot Fuzz

1 comment:

  1. have I ever told you that (once I've gotten my PhD and real job and I know I will never EVER again be ending up back at a bookstore) I want a Seussian dismissal. Someday, when I get that Scrooge character, or the "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE IT! I NEED IT NOW! ITS FOR MY WIFE FOR CHRISTMAS!" customer, I want to look at them, quote, "He puzzed and he puzzed till his puzzler was sore...then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store, maybe Christmas, perhaps means a little bit more." then, I want to tilt my head go, "huh," and walk off into the sunset.

    I can't believe that someone actually told anyone that their taxes are meant to take care of sick kids so they didn't have to buy books. But, then I also can't believe that anyone would chuck a book at a cashier's head, either.

    ReplyDelete