The Man Booker Prize is awarding a special prize for novels that were "lost" in the shuffle when the Booker Prize rules changed in 1971. That year the award went from a retrospective award to one given to novels published during that year - many novels published in 1970 became ineligible for the award or were never submitted for consideration.
A panel of judges created a shortlist of six books from the many novels were lost to consideration and the public will vote to determine the winner. The six novels are:
• The Birds on the Trees by Nina Bawden (this seems to be the only title not currently available in the US)
• Troubles by J G Farrell
• The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard
• Fire From Heaven by Mary Renault
• The Driver's Seat by Muriel Spark
• The Vivisector by Patrick White
The reading public will determine the winner - cast your vote for the winning "Lost" Booker Winner here before April 23! The winner will be announced on May 19.
I definitely won't get all six novels read before the deadline but I do have Troubles and I'm going to read as much of that one as I can (also I totally want The Vivisector because the cover art is awesome).