09 July 2008

Books, Books, Books

Ufda! I spent two-and-a-half hours this evening helping to reshelve the storage items (i.e. books still stuck on the Dewey Decimal system that aren't requested more than once every quarter century or so) at the UI Main Library. The library officially reopened today and the staff are trying to get everything put back where it goes as quickly as humanly possible. They put out a call for volunteers today so I went over around 6pm ... I was the only volunteer but I got to exercise my OCD tendencies and help put the theses in order.

I don't have much money to donate, but I do have time.

I don't have a lot of money because I tend to buy books. I acquired yet another two tonight (and those are the ones I'm telling about). One, A Beginner's Guide to Critical Reading, is for my poor brain for when I get into a grad program; the literature used covers a number of years of English Literature (no Jane Austen but Charlotte Perkins Gilman gets a nod) and the Theory is wide-ranging. The second I bought because of Ilana - her weekly posting in the "Literature and Life" board at BNBC muses over Lisa Zunshine's "theory of mind" as used in her book Why We Read Fiction.

I did finally finish The Shakespeare Wars: Clashing Scholars, Public Fiascoes, Palace Coups. There weren't many "palace coups" but there were a number of "clashing scholars" throughout. I found the book very accessible, Rosenbaum being a former Yale grad student, and also very thorough in the attempt to cover as many competing/conflicting veiws of Shakespeare in a non-"I'm going to bore you to death" type of way. More on this later - I'm pooped and I have to go to the dentist tomorrow. Yuck.

Current book-in-progress: Blindness (goes back to the public library Saturday so I'd rather not have to renew it)
Current knitted item: Tan linen evening bag
Current movie obsession: Empire Records (love, love, love)
Current iTunes loop: I got the new Sigur Ros CD (don't even make me pronounce the Icelandic title) - which I heard on NPR's All Songs Considered - and it is AWESOME

No comments:

Post a Comment