16 June 2014

Ulysses and Us

Summary from Goodreads:
Declan Kiberd, a professor of Anglo-Irish literature at the University College Dublin, offers an audacious new take on Joyce's classic novel. Ulysses, he argues, is a work written for and about the common person, offering a humane vision of a more tolerant and decent life in the modern world. In this passionate corrective to the widespread view of Ulysses as an esoteric tome for the scholarly few, Kiberd dispells the aura of academic mystique that has attached itself to the novel, opening our eyes to Ulysses as a celebration of the everyday and a model for living well in an unpredictable world.

I did it!  I finally finished this!  Whee! 

I gave up the idea of reading Ulysses and Us concurrently with Ulysses because, pfffft, that was really not happening.  Also, the cats did that thing where they knock the book down behind the furniture and I don't find it for a few years.

This is a very readable guide to Joyce's Ulysses.  It does make that work of high-modernism seem accessible (I read this in the hopes that by understanding some of the themes I can work on the language).

No comments:

Post a Comment